Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology (590760)
Specialized in: diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology
The Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University Munich offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with diseases of the nervous system. Medical care covers emergency care, inpatient and outpatient treatment. The experts from the Departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery are often involved in the therapeutic process. The unique competencies of doctors and excellent technical equipment are the key to medical service of the highest European standard. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Liebig.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics of the nervous system, head and neck, spine
- Computed tomography (state-of-the-art tomographs from Siemens and General Electric)
- Magnetic resonance imaging, including with contrast enhancement
- Contrast-enhanced digital subtraction angiography (for the detection of pathologies of the cerebral vessels, particularly, cerebral aneurysm, arteriovenous malformations, arteriovenous fistulas, stenoses)
- Therapeutic options
- Thrombectomy for ischemic stroke
- Stent angioplasty in cerebral stenosis
- Embolization of vascular malformations of the brain and spinal cord (for example, arteriovenous malformations, arteriovenous fistulas)
- Endovascular treatment of aneurysms
- Other medical services
Prof. Thomas Liebig studied Human Medicine at the Hannover Medical School. He also completed internships in Gainesville (Florida) and at the Harvard Medical School in Boston (Massachusetts), USA. In 1993, he began an internship at the Charite University Hospital Berlin. In 1995, he defended his doctoral thesis and received full admission to medical practice. Then the doctor held the position of Research Fellow in the Department of Radiology and Neurosurgery at the Charite University Hospital Berlin. In 2000, he had his board certification in Radiology. Then Prof. Liebig held the position of Senior Physician at the International Neuroscience Institute in Hannover, Senior Physician in the Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen. In 2006, he had his board certification in Neuroradiology. Since 2006 till 2010, he held the position of the Leading Senior Physician at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich. In 2008, he was habilitated (paper devoted to the treatment of cerebral artery aneurysms). In 2010, Dr. Liebig received the title of W2 Professor and Head of the Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Cologne. In 2015, he was offered to move to the Charite University Hospital Berlin, where he headed the Institute of Neuroradiology. Since April 1, 2018, the Doctor is Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, as well as the Head of the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology.
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.